Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Sufficiency



                                                  2Cr 12:9
And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.


I had to study this because it keeps coming back to me and I don't quite understand what God is saying to me with this. He's said it over and over to me. Once, He even spoke audibly to me that His grace was sufficient and His word was all I need. So, on my way to work this morning, He reminded me again.

I had to look up the words in their original meaning to gain an understanding of what this might mean for me.


Grace: χάρις
1) grace

a) that which affords joy, pleasure, delight, sweetness, charm, loveliness: grace of speech

2) good will, loving-kindness, favour

a) of the merciful kindness by which God, exerting his holy influence upon souls, turns them to Christ, keeps, strengthens, increases them in Christian faith, knowledge, affection, and kindles them to the exercise of the Christian virtues

3) what is due to grace

a) the spiritual condition of one governed by the power of divine grace

b) the token or proof of grace, benefit

1) a gift of grace

2) benefit, bounty

4) thanks, (for benefits, services, favours), recompense, reward
 
Sufficient: ἀρκέω
1) to be possessed of unfailing strength
a) to be strong, to suffice, to be enough
1) to defend, ward off
b) to be satisfied, to be contented
 
And the root that sufficient comes from:
 
αἴρω
1) to raise up, elevate, lift up
a) to raise from the ground, take up: stones
b) to raise upwards, elevate, lift up: the hand
c) to draw up: a fish
2) to take upon one's self and carry what has been raised up, to bear
3) to bear away what has been raised, carry off
a) to move from its place
b) to take off or away what is attached to anything
c) to remove
d) to carry off, carry away with one
e) to appropriate what is taken
f) to take away from another what is his or what is committed to him, to take by force
g) to take and apply to any use
h) to take from among the living, either by a natural death, or by violence
i) cause to cease
 
So.
 
His grace is that which gives me delight, or delights in me and gives joy, is strong to defend, to ward off, to be satisfied and contented and to raise up, to elevate, to draw up to take upon himself and carry me, my burden, to bear away and remove (from the storm, that which vexes me), to carry off (that which I cannot). His grace truly is sufficient to be and do all that I need.
 
Resting in His grace today,
Kelly

 

No comments:

Post a Comment